About Us

“ For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men.”

History

God's Word Sign from College Avenue Church

Memories grow sweeter as the years go by! Grace Bible Church celebrated its 80th anniversary in March of 2009. Through all the years, the focus of this ministry has been the preaching of God's Word, rightly divided (2 Timothy 2:15), with an emphasis upon the grace of God which has been manifested through the Lord Jesus Christ. It is our prayer that this will remain our purpose until the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ (Titus 2:13).

The history of Grace Bible Church began in the latter months of 1928 when a group of Christians began meeting for Bible study in a store building on the corner of Hemphill and Magnolia streets in Fort Worth. The class met once each week and was taught by Brother Ike T. Sidebottom. The interest was so good that the group decided they needed a building of their own so that they could meet on Sundays and other times for Bible study and worship.

Photo of College Avenue Church

In March of 1929 the first service was held in the new building they had built. It was located at 615 College Avenue in south Fort Worth. Brother Sidebottom served as Pastor. From the very beginning, the intent was to have a place of worship apart from man's denominations where anyone could come and hear the gospel and study the Word of the Lord. There was no formal membership. All who were led of the Lord to come were welcome.

In 1965, because of ill health, Brother Sidebottom resigned as Pastor and Brother Charles Wages became Pastor. While serving as pastor, Brother Wages also worked in the school business as a teacher, counselor, high school principal and superintendent. In 1978, Brother Wages retired from the school business to devote full time to the church.

In 1979, after celebrating our 50th anniversary as a church, it was decided that a move to a new location was needed. The area around the church on College Avenue that was once residential had become a commercial and medical complex. In order to reach more people with the Word, the church decided to move to our present location on the east side of Fort Worth.

Photo of Grace Bible Church

Land was purchased and our present building was built during 1979-1980. On November 22, 1980, we had our first service in the new building; a Thanksgiving dinner and service. The following day, we held our first Sunday School and worship services in the new building.

The name of the church was changed from College Avenue Church to Grace Bible Church to reflect our emphasis on proclaiming the glorious gospel of God's grace and the studying of God's Word, “rightly divided.”

During Brother Wages' years as Pastor, several young men have served as Assistant Pastors with him, including Brother Ken Farmen. In April 1989, Brother Gregg Bing, who grew up in the church, became Associate Pastor here and served with Pastor Wages in that capacity through the end of 2002.

At the end of 2002, Pastor Wages stepped down from the full-time responsibility of the pastorate, though he did not "retire" from the work of the Lord. He continues to be involved in the ministry of the Word. Brother Gregg Bing became Pastor of the church in January 2003.

We are thankful that the Lord has been so faithful to us in allowing and enabling us to continue this ministry over these many years. We pray that we may continue to serve Him for many years to come and that He may receive all the glory, honor, and praise.

"Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, immoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vaine in the Lord." (1 Cor. 15:58)